The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Vatican Time Machine

  • Yes, I'm still here. It's been a busy time. I've finished my second screenplay, and am practicing for a gig this Friday. In the audience? The Nebraska governor and members of the Nebraska Congressional delegation. Should be interesting. I'll give a report.
  • First of all, here's a headline for you. The article might make you lose your appetite, though.
  • We dined out with my wife's sister and her husband at a Cajun restaurant. It was very good. The waiter wore a T-shirt that said: Forget the crawfish . . . eat ME! I think I'll go with the crawfish.
  • A while back, I shared a story about how a young lady tried to entice me to participate in her "survey" by offering a free, no-obligation can of air freshener, which she promptly took back after I decided it was taking too long. Well, Sunday, another young lady came to the door, air freshener in hand, telling me that it would cost me absolutely nothing, etc. I tried several times to tell her that I knew what she was up to and wasn't interested, but she wouldn't shut up. Finally, I had to tell her rather firmly that I wasn't interested, and she stalked off, saying, "Okay, thanks for nothing." Oh, man, did she get an ass-chewing after that. My wife made fun of me for calling her "young lady" during my diatribe. Well, she disrespected an elder.
  • Dick Morris described Bill Clinton's meltdown on Fox News Sunday thus: There he was on live television, the man those who have worked for him have come to know-the angry, sarcastic, snarling, self-righteous, bombastic bully, roused to a fever pitch. The truer the accusation, the greater the feigned indignation. Yep, that's about how I saw it. One need not be a Bush lover to thank Allah the Bill Clinton era is over.
  • Monkey's back. Yay!
  • Looking for new writing ideas, I browsed through one of many files I keep on odd news stories. Some of the ones I found: a little girl who weighs 13 pounds and is 27 inches long-about the size of any average 6-month-old, only she's 12-years-old. Doctors don't know why the girl hasn't grown, and believe she may be the first and only person to ever suffer from her disease; A minister, his wife and two of their children were killed when an oak tree fell onto their car as they were driving. There was no wind, no reason for the tree to have fallen at that exact moment and angle to cause the accident. The odds of it happening were beyond estimation; The Vatican is accused of hiding a time machine invented by a Benedictine monk in the 1950s. The "way-back machine" was allegedly used to travel back in time to film Christ's crucifixion.
I could think of some things I'd film if I went back in time . . .

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Gah! Jimmy! Ick.

"What better way to secure a contract than over a steaming penis fondue."

I would've preferred to have gone to my grave never reading that sentence.

So, of course, I will now post this on my journal.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Defiantly Damned said...

Jimmy - I have a large container of dog testicles that I got when I left my job at the vet clinic. The doctor had been saving them from the neuters and it was part of my going-away gift to help me remember my time there. The label on the container is a Planters Nuts label, quite fitting. Anyway, if you ever get the hankering for some broiled bulldog balls, lemme know and I'll cook 'em up for ya.

What is the big deal about Clinton losing his temper? So what? Everyone in the media has made such a big deal about it, but frankly, I can't blame him for getting pissed off. I don't think he was out of line whatsoever. And for the record... I would pray to Allah for the rest of my days if Clinton could only come back for another 2 terms.

I love Bill and balls. :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

The big deal is that his anger was phony. The big deal is that he acted like an overbearing bully The big deal is that he acts like he is above reproach. The big deal is that he lied his ass off over and over again. The big deal is that he wildly overreacted to a pretty simple question.

Hey, if you love that sort of wild-eyed, slurring bullying, you can have it.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Defiantly Damned said...

I'm curious...

Why do you think his anger was phony? What did he do that conveyed a sense of insincerity? He was visibly upset during a short portion of the interview and he admitted that he was upset. How is that phony?

Why do you think his actions were those of "an overbearing bully?"

What did he do or say to convey that he was above reproach? He fully admitted to having made mistakes; he admitted that he did not do enough in the "fight against terror" because he wasn't able to kill Bin Laden; he has never (to my knowledge) claimed that his efforts were perfect or enough. How is that above reproach?

What specific issues did he lie about over and over again?

Why do you think the question was so simple? It's not a simple question and there is no simple answer. The question empirically leads to the implication that 9/11 was Clinton's fault which is simply untrue. Why didn't he do more to fight the war on terror? There are numerous reasons, none of which are simple.

I find it amusing that the media has focused solely on the small segment of the interview when Clinton was evidently frustrated, angry, and flippant when there was so much positive news they could have reported on. Sadly, the efforts and accomplishments of the Clinton Global Initiative were lost on Fox News (and most of the rest of the world apparently) which is really too bad. In the end, I wish the world could focus more on the positive versus the negative, not just with Clinton, but with all issues.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I know it's phony because I've seen it before. Remember "I did not have sex with that woman"? With the accompanying finger-wagging? Remember how it turned out to be a fucking lie? Phony as a Chinese redhead.

You don't think leaning into someone's personal space, tapping angrily on their lap, jabbing your finger in their face (especially when you're the ex-president and unlikely to be told to sit the fuck back) and raising your voice is bullying behavior? I don't know what else to tell you.

His snotty behavior is evidence that he feels himself above reproach. It was obvious that a message was being sent, similar to when Clinton got a menacing tone in his voice and told Peter Jennings, "Don't go there, Peter?" Or what? He'll kick Peter Jennings's ass? The message? Don't you dare question His Royal Highness.

He said that no one ever linked Osama bin Laden to Somalia. Well, that's true, and also irrelevant because no one ever criticized Clinton for that specific reason. This is typical Clinton misdirection. Osama's relevance to Somalia is that Osama cited the Black Hawk down incident as the basis for his belief that America was a paper tiger. Of course, Clinton goddamn well knows this, as does any informed viewer.

Republicans accused him of being "obsessed" with bin Laden? Evidence please? On the contrary, Newt Gingrich and Trent Lott were very supportive of Clinton's air strikes on Afghanistan.

In the end, I wish the world could focus more on the positive versus the negative, not just with Clinton, but with all issues. Don't make me laugh, you. In a recent post on your blog, I saw this sentence: "I hate George W. Bush." Is that focusing on the positive? Eliminating the negative? ;)

Let me be perfectly clear here. I do not have the time nor the stomach for a tit-for-tat rehash of the Clinton era. It's obvious we disagree passionately. You will never convince me of Clinton's sincerity, and I will never convince you of his moral vaccum. He did good things and bad. I believe the bad outweighs the good, and that is how I judge him.

I almost voted for Clinton in '92. Does that surprise you? I had to learn to dislike and distrust him. There are carefully thought-out reasons for the things I believe. I don't dislike him for the hell of it or because I'm a partisan Republican. Indeed, I despise the Bush Doctrine of preemtive war. I hate his runaway spending and his focus on safety instead of freedeom.

Although your devotion to Clinton is a mystery to me, I do not doubt your intelligence or sincerity. I suppose the different paths we have taken in life lead us to evaluate things differently. You had "eight good years" with Clinton. Now he is out of office. We both have reason to be happy, eh?

:)

10:49 AM  
Blogger Defiantly Damned said...

Fair enough, my friend. I can agree to disagree and leave it at that. I may not always understand the perspective from which you view the world and I may not always agree with you. But, one thing is for certain... I still love ya, Jimmy, and I know I always will.

12:56 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Yep, I'll just let this one alone....

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home