The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Philadelphia "Freedom"

  • Looks like I'm the last one to weigh in on that hurricane of laughter and frivolity that hit Philadelphia this past weekend that we called The Gathering. Seven jolly bloggers--most of whom had never met in person--went to the time and expense to meet in the sometimes misnamed "City of Brotherly Love."
  • I had my first cheesesteak sandwich. Oh, Lord. That was good. With provolone. Oh, Lord. That was good.
  • My mother will be surprised to learn that Davis has a long-lost twin brother. Fletcher and Davis must have been pulled from the same cosmic ether and brought to Earth. I'm glad they found each other.
  • To the "lady" at the United counter at O'Hare: Fuck you, you rude bitch. I'm glad you likely have a husband who doesn't love you and children who don't respect you. So there. Security can't reach me here. Yet.
  • Benjamin Franklin—who invented damn near everything, we learned—once wrote that those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither liberty nor security. I wonder what Ol' Ben would think of people being searched by uniformed officers before visiting the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. I'm proud of our group for refusing to participate in such a sad irony.
  • People in groups are strange animals, but travelers are insufferable animals. What is it about commuting in cars or planes that brings out the asshole in people? These people deserve the rubber glove.
  • Speaking of the rubber glove, Davis saw an elderly woman getting a pat-down search. Boy, did that make me feel safe.
  • There's a much greater show of police authority in a big city: transit cops, parking cops, regular cops, guards at the monuments, etc. I'm not used to that living in Omaha. Also not used to relying on public transportation so much, but I think I could get used to it.
  • Honking is the national pastime in Philly. Boy are they horny.
  • After dinner one night, the gang retired to the hotel bar across the way for a few drinks. I ordered a drink for myself and a comrade. When the waitress delivered the two drinks, I gave her a twenty for the tab. She brought back $.58 in change. For two drinks.
  • We discovered we share an affection for Larry the Cable Guy (or at least a polite tolerance).
  • "We went down to that there waterfront, yessir. They had all sorts of ships and what-not. We ate at this place that had the best sammiches right there, I don't care who ya are. Boy, I was happier'n Rosie O'Donnell at a buffet full of Ho-Ho's, I tell ya what."
  • We watched a William Shatner film, Incubus, that had been lost for 30 years, restored and transferred to DVD. I think it deserves more respect than the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment we gave it, ha, but it did provide some of the biggest laughs of the trip, so no harm done. It was, however, very atmospheric and contains some interesting camera work. Jim-Bob says "check-it-out."
  • Well, the weather was great, the food was great, the drinks went down well and the companionship was great. It was amazing to see the fun and joy that followed us around. Waiters and waitresses who were surly and frowning were laughing, smiling and walking with a spring in their step by the time we were done with them.
  • Thanks, my friends, for a wonderful weekend.

6 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

Shine your light, shine your light...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

You call him "Incubus", but me an' Fletch call him, affectionately, Todd.

W.V. flvpk.....my nickname.

think about it. you'll get it

1:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You say that travelers are insufferable animals. It's good we of the Gathering are only half-human, at most. I think there we did a fine job of avoiding assholery.

One of the top five reasons I'm moving out of the woods within the year is because I want to have to walk or take subways everywhere. We definitely need to have a Gathering in Europe someday so you can see what real public transportation is all about. Lucky European bastards.

I own the Incubus DVD. It was an offering from Fletcher to the Goddess of Song. I suspect there will be many blessings upon us now.

One of my favorite quotes has always been, "No one has the right to consume happiness without producing it." (Helen Keller) I'd say we abided by that principle, and then some.

Thank you everyone for a badly needed and unforgettable good time.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Davis: Unfortunately, Todd will not be available for any further Incubus duties. I'm still thinking about the nickname.

Tree: We did do a good job of avoiding assholery (great word, by the way, very Dennis Miller of you).

I enjoyed all the walking. It took care of the beer and burgers I ate.

Yes, we'll need blessings to protect us from the cult of women who hold men's heads underwater with their feet.

We had a definite happiness cycle going for us. I was honored to be a part of it. Only, next time, more guitar playing.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, that was the only thing missing. Not enough music. We'll remedy that in the future.

Word Ver: ofiafutm
No clue, but it looks Latin and is fun to say.

I have no idea what Davis' WV means.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Next time we'll have to play songs at the bar while the others drink.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home