The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

School's Out

  • School is out for the semester. I've noticed that there aren't many students my age. They either young enough to be my children, or old enough to be my parents. I have noticed that the young gals like to have me around . . . so they can copy my notes and have me in their study groups. Oh, well.
  • Speaking of school, I've noticed that people are really absorbed in their Ipods and cell phones. I usually leave the campus late at night, and it's downright scary how people pay little attention to their surroundings. Can't count the number of times I've passed a woman in the darkness, and she's completely unaware of what's going on around her. Dangerous.
  • Someone did a net search for "granny's breasts" recently, and guess whose blog was the number one result? I'm so honored.
  • At least once a week, someone visits here after doing a net search for the so-called "Highgate Vampire." I posted about this last September. I received a couple of lengthy responses from people who have strong feelings about it. It really is a fascinating story. If you didn't see it, check it out.
  • If you like those planetarium programs for your computer, here are a few: Winstars, Celestia and Stellarium. Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
  • I watched Hostel the other night. I'd heard it was either the savior of the horror film or an exercise in pointless brutality. All I can say is that I'm angry I can never get that hour-and-a-half back. Rob Zombie is the true savior of the horror film. He is a genius. A pure, motherf@cking genius (that was for you, Tricia).
  • I finished the first draft of my first screenplay, and I'm stoked. The title is Bone Sigh. It's about a man in his 30's whose wife has an affair and leaves him. After he's single again, he begins to slip into a moral tailspin. It's not high concept, I know, but it's got some good stuff in it. Anyone interested in being on my reading team?
  • One of the unexpected pleasures of fatherhood is rediscovering Disney movies. The modern, CGI films are great, but I prefer the hand-drawn classics like Cinderella, The Jungle Book and Peter Pan. There is something fascinating to me about the effort it takes to draw a feature-length animated movie. The music is wonderful, and the storytelling is tight and sophisticated. Walt was a pure, motherf#cking genius.
  • I suppose I'm like most parents in that I worry about how my daughters will fare in the world when I'm gone. I could live to be a very old man, but we all know how brutal life can be. Just when things are going good, a drunk asshole swerves into your lane and you become someone else's cautionary tale. My twin daughters are 2 years-old and I've noticed some things lately. If one of them starts to cough, or trips and bangs her knee, the other will rush up to ask "Are you okay?" If one sneezes, the other says "Bless you." If one cries, the other asks "What's the matter?" They share toys without asking. They dance together. If they are apart for a long period of time, they run to each other when reunited and hug. They share a sisterly love I can only marvel at. I know they will be okay as long as they have each other. And I'll be okay as long as I have them. I am truly blessed among men.
Have a great weekend.

7 Comments:

Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

Hey Motherf@cker!

That was me searching for granny's breasts. I was bored. What can I say?

The Highgate Vampire. I love that kind of sh!t. We lived near a graveyard when I was little and and the older kids took great pleasure in scaring the hell out of us with stories like that. I'm still scared... I mean scarred.

We have Disney out of the wazoo here. I still watch them and sing along. I'm weird like that.

My boys have 2 years between them and they always stuck up for each other. The neighbors could never tell them apart because they looked so much alike. Not anymore.
Still, even now that they are both in their late teens, they look out for each other. One is a musician, into goth and death metal. The other a total jock. It's amazing that they get along.

Like cats and dogs living in peace.
Is this the apocolypse?

5:59 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I've been thinking a lot about Jungle Book recently. I'll have to watch it again sometime soon. Cinderella has always been one of my favorites, but I'm always partial to The Little Mermaid, not just because it's a good movie, but when I first saw it (I was 7) the fact that she has red hair was AWESOME! :)

What can I say, I'm biased.

Oh, and if you're short on readers, send it to me. I'll warn you, though, I'm a stickler for grammar!

5:43 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

Oooh. Me too!
I want to be a reader!
I'll be happy to work with Heather beating the crap out of your grammar.

We'll tag team!

My aunt is also a red head.
Little Mermaid looks and a temper like Triton.
Careful: They can be vicious when provoked! Grrrrrrrrrr

7:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimmy is lucky. Heather and Tricia will beat his grammer. I wish that I was young again.

Heather has a temper when provoked. Of this, I can vouch.
&

9:07 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How would you know? You're such a sweetheart, I could never lose my temper with you!

..Oh, oh right, I forgot, you actually had to live with me.

Never mind. :)

Yay, tag team! We'll take down Grammar and his nasty sidekick Plot Hole, and still look FABULOUS at the end. All girls do, you know.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

What's up, my b!tches??

Well, I hope you won't have too many grammar and plot problems to deal with, but by all means, hammer away if necessary. I have a rewrite and a couple of revisions to go before I open the door. Then I'll have to figure out the best way to get it to you. I appreciate it. And the idea of being tag teamed does sound appealing. :)

Davis and I have had a few conversations about the redheaded mermaid. Only a few, though. Yep.

Heather has a temper, eh? Good to know. I'll not provoke. So what is the Fletcher/Heather connection?

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My latest entry is pretty clear. If not, Go back to last February and read the poem entitled "Heather".
&

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home