The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Shhhhh!

The news is not good:
  • According to Bob Woodward, Henry Kissinger is a frequent (and secret) visitor and advisor to George Bush. This is horrible, horrible news, worse than even the knee-jerk Bush-haters could possibly imagine. It brings to mind what I consider to be Dubya's most breathtaking act of hubris: his attempt to get Kissinger appointed chairman of the 9/11 Commission. Thank God that one got shouted down. Check out Christopher Hitchens's The Trial of Henry Kissinger if you're ready for your blood to boil.
  • American diplomats are working in secret with their Canadian and Mexican counterparts to bring about a North American superstate. Not that there's anything wrong with that in theory, but it's all being done out of earshot of Congress, and any such treaty would trump the U.S. Constitution. Now you know why neither party is interested in securing the Mexican border-we'll all be citizens of the same country eventually, so why go to the effort?
  • The House recently passed a bill that allows schools to conduct warrantless strip searches and gives school employees immunity from prosecution. The House took the cowardly step of bypassing committee debate and holding a voice vote, meaning that votes were not recorded, and members can't be held accountable for their vote. The bill "does not address whether body cavity searches are included, whether training will be provided to staffers performing them, whether background checks on staffers would be necessary, whether students who have been sexually abused in the past would be subject or whether parental notification would be required. Without those specifics, the judgment of local school administrators will be the litmus test." That rumbling sound you hear is the stampede of pedophiles rushing to get their teaching certificate.
Ain't freedom fun? This message will self destruct in 30 seconds . . .

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is so much we could do for education. Unfortunately, imagine what the youth will learn from this twist in the House. It must no longer be important that children learn basic math or English.

I quake. I quail. I seek emmigration to my own island.

æ

2:24 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

I'm leaving with ae, island living sounds good right about now.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Defiantly Damned said...

It's bad enough that kids have to fear going to school, a place where they should feel safe and secure. I suppose now that we're in the age of drug-sniffing dogs and metal detectors in our schools, I shouldn't be surprised. Yet, I am horrified. If anyone ever so much as thought of doing a strip search on any of my kids...

11:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Shadowrun: UCAS - United Canadian and American States.

Touch my kid and I'll be in the news.

Land of the Free...for those who can afford it.

This makes me insane. OK, more insane.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Just one more reason why my future children will be home schooled. I'm completely disgusted by this.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Anon and Tricia: There's an island for sale near Fiji, if I'm not mistaken. Only $75 million and we're out of here, strolling along the sand, wearing palm leaves . . .

DD: I'm with you. Anyone who tries that with my kids is gonna wish they'd stayed in bed.

Fletcher: I believe they're going to call it the North American Union. What's that saying? The law is too weak to hold the strong?

Heather: I heard that. We're seriously considering homeschooling. We're perfectly capable of teaching them whatever they need to know-minus the metal detectors, drug dogs, strip-searches, zero tolerance policies and imperial bureaucrats.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Apparently, I was too late. Could you re-post this so I can read it?

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home