The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Click It or Ticket . . . I Say "Suck It"

In the mid-90's, two friends and I were on our way home from a Dwight Yoakam concert in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. We crested a hill, and drove head-on into a Black Angus bull loitering in the middle of the highway. My seat belt held me tight, or I would have flown deep into the night. We made it to the side of the road. None of us had ever been in an accident where air bags were deployed, so we mistook the floating powder for smoke and piled out of the car. As we stood on the highway, gathering our wits, we noticed that the bull we'd struck at 65 mph had gotten up and walked off, no doubt with a terrible sideache.

I tell you that little anecdote to assure you that I am a dyed-in-the-wool believer in seatbelt use. However, I do not agree with mandatory seatbelt laws. Seatbelt usage is a personal choice, and the decision not to use one is (or should be) a personal choice. You risk only your own life if you choose not to buckle up. I'm tired of these busybodies who think they need to force laws that require the police to save me from myself. I'm sick to hell of reading accident reports that make a point of noting that the dead at an accident scene weren't buckled up, as if they deserved to die.

I say, if we're going to turn the state into everyone's mommy and daddy, let's go the whole route. In addition to seatbelt check points, how about cholesterol check points? I want these overweight seat belt advocates to have their cholesterol checked by police. After all, someone with heart disease careening across six lanes of traffic during a heart attack is a far greater threat to public health than one individual being thrown from his vehicle. Wouldn't you agree? How about home inspections to make sure we aren't consuming too much alcohol? How about regulating tobacco use? How about mandatory exercise times, supervised by the police? Don't think there aren't people who would advocate all of the above. Some people love to tell others how to live.

What prompted this little rant was a news item I read before the holiday weekend. In Omaha, women and children are being abducted, murdered and fished out of the river with alarming frequency lately, so imagine my rage at learning that the Omaha Police were devoting five police officers and a police sergeant . . . to seatbelt enforcement.

Glad we got our fuckin' priorities straight.

9 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

"Click it, or Ticket,Bitch!!"

Oh Yeah, We found a chick by the river....

How true.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

What a worthless "pile" we have here...

10:55 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I agree that's it's pretty dumb to go around unbuckled, and also agree that the police should have the authority to pull over cars with unbuckled children.

But if I choose to neglect my seatbelt, it endangers my life and nobody else's, which means it's none of the government's business.

Besides, we have to weed out the stupid, as George Carlin might say.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Chris Jart said...

Perhaps the police believe that if they can keep these women and children buckled up, they will not fall victim to being abducted and murdered, uhhhhh...because the seatbelt will keep them, um,safe?

All I know is I'm staying the hell out of Omaha.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Same reason we are parolling murders and sex offenders. We need room in the prisons to put those evil pot smokers.

Fucking Fascist Fanatics
&

10:33 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Chris: All I know is I'm staying the hell out of Omaha. That may not be a bad idea. They found another one the other day. Buckle up!

Fletcher: We need a superhero to save us from ourselves. At the last minute, he would swoop down and snatch that cheeseburger out of my mouth.

10:12 AM  
Blogger O said...

I had no idea that was going on in Omaha. How frightening.

Couldn't agree more with you on the seatbelt issue. It's like those guidelines that just came out for women's health that urge all women of childbearing age to eat a certain way, etc. Obviously our worth is as potential fetal containers. I wonder how long it will be til that sort of thing is legislated also, and the US changes its name to the United Republic of Gilead.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Good point, O, Just as we are fetal suppliers....

W.V. tevobmja

tevo........

12:19 AM  
Blogger Zârck. said...

Un blog muy interesante. Te invito a pasear por mi Jardín.
Saludos desde España.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home