The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Brain Dump

  • We now watch "Peter Pan" or "Cinderella" on a daily basis, depending on which one my daughters request. "Peter Pan" is an old favorite of mine, so it's fun to get to watch that one over and over. "Cinderella" is one I'd seen once or twice, but I've really grown to love this movie. I've become something of a film connoisseur, and when I evaluate it's story structure, script and music, this is really a great movie.
  • Speaking of movies, I took a two-day screenwriting seminar a couple of weeks ago with Lew Hunter and Michael Hauge, so now I'm on a screenwriting kick and am going gangbusters on my first script. This is about the most fun writing I've ever done. It came at the perfect time, as my novel writing efforts were about to put me in the looney bin. I think screenwriting, like short stories, appeals to my nature to get the story told quick. I bring this up because I came across the Writer's Guild's list of the 101 Greatest Screenplays. Here's a script site where you can probably read most of them. I thought The Usual Suspects was a tad overrated, and to see it ranked above "Taxi Driver" really pissed me off. Let the debate begin.
  • A couple of interesting news stories to shake up your view of things. The first, about a new book from the Holy Blood, Holy Grail guys, explores the possibility that Jesus faked his death on the cross. For example, the "vinegar" He was given to drink was actually a soporific drug that simulated death, and that Pontius Pilate and Joseph of Arimethea were in on the plot, as was Judas, who might actually have been put up to his betrayal by Jesus himself. Velly eenteresting.
  • Went to see George Carlin last Thursday night. He was vicious and caustic as usual, and he told us two horribly disgusting jokes. He said "this is quite possibly the sickest joke I've ever told . . . with the possible exception of the next one." I'll post the jokes in the comments with a warning. So, you've been warned. Don't bitch.
  • I told my wife I'm now buying lottery tickets because I seem to always beat the odds. For example, at the Carlin concert happened to fall on a night of horrible weather, and the two drunkest assholes at the event sat right next to me. They weren't in their seats five minutes and I already had to tell them to shut the fuck up. They stunk of alcohol and were just a couple of losers. It's amazing how some people can still inspire instant hatred. I would loved to have seen them pasted by a city bus. That would have been funny.
  • One of my daughters got up from her afternoon nap, and when I went into their bedroom, the other girl was still asleep. They look so peaceful and angelic when they sleep. It dawned on me that I rarely see them sleeping since its usually dark in their room and they're awake by the time I go in, and they never sleep in my arms anymore. Funny how that wonderful period went by so fast and I never even noticed.

14 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy said...

Warning! Carlin's Sick Jokes!

A young girl watches her dad drying off after a shower. She asks him what that thing is between his legs. "It's a penis," he says. "When am I going to get a penis like that?" she asks. "After your mama goes to work."

Q: How does a hillbilly girl know when her mother is on her period?
A: Her brother's dick tastes funny.

2:49 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

That's really sick. :P

Talk about good scripts. One of my all time favorite movies, besides 'The Usual Suspects' (which is so much better than Taxi Driver)is Angel Heart. De Niro was in that one too. Talk about the use of symbolism - tons of it in that movie - and it was an incredible movie to boot. Way before Shama-lama-ding-dong decided to use all of that symbolism in 'The Sixth Sense'.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

You were warned.

We're just going to have to agree that you are delusional about "The Usual Suspects/Taxi Driver" issue. ;) Although, "Angel Heart" is a fantastic movie, we can agree on that. Was that on the list?

4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just saw an advert for "The Little Mermaid". I'd forgotten how much I really liked that one.

I shall have to peruse your writing. I think that it's cool that you are following that desire.

Yeah, I figured the the whole 'died and rose again' was a scam. It's a good one, though.

I love George! I hate drunken assholes.

I used to watch my daughter sleep. I have great night vision. Unfortunately, after the divorce, I was accused of being a pervert. Ah well. I'll be a cold, unfeeling bastard of a father in my next life. That'll show 'em!
&

10:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh dear. Am I going to have to do a cover of "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid now?

I will. If someone says "pretty please."

Hrm. Maybe.

7:25 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

Angel Heart was not on the list.
That's why I brought it up.
Angel Heart wasn't - but Back to the Future was. There is no justice.

Taxi Driver over The Usual Suspects? I would slap you but I think I'll wait for the drugs you are obviously taking to wear off.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've not seen Usual Suspects.

I liked Angel Heart.
I liked Back to the Future.

Both for differnt reasons.

Tree, Goddess of Song, "Pretty please?"
"Pretty please with sugar on?"
&

8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angel Heart is fabulous, and based on a freaky foriegn novel, if i recall correctly.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Fletcher: I love "The Little Mermaid" too. I love all mermaids, actually.

Tree: Pretty please. And please wear the mermaid outfit when you do.

Tricia: How about a Taxi Driver/Usual Suspects double feature? I'll bring the popcorn and you can slap me silly.

Eros: I didn't know Angel Heart was based on a freaky foreign novel, but I love freaky foreign novels. I'll have to check it out.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Me first, eh? Okay, let me think on it. Shouldn't be too hard.

6:31 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:01 PM  
Blogger T - Another Geek Girl said...

There he goes thinking again.
I can hear the little mouse in his head spinning on it's wheel.

Double feature?
Back row?
Rhythmic slapping?

Sounds like a date to me.


PS. Guess I wasn't thinking either?
Thank goodness for delete.

11:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm too young for this thread, methinks.
&

11:40 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Tricia: I like how you snuck "the back row" in there. Sounds good to me. At least I'll know where to find you.

Fletcher: You ain't foolin' anyone, pal.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home