The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So Says Iris

I'm reading Iris Murdoch's "The Unicorn," and came across this interesting exchange between Hannah and Marian:

"I think, don't you, that one ought to cry out more for love, to ask for it. It's odd how afraid people are of the word. Yet we all need love. Even God needs love. I suppose that's why He created us," said Hannah.
"He made a bad arrangement," said Marian.
Funny or sad, depending on your perspective.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What if god was one of us?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Just a slob like one of us?

3:16 PM  
Blogger O said...

I feel torn about Murdoch. There are some things of hers I like very much, and some I really dislike. I haven't yet read the the Unicorn--one day!

I do love this M quote though:

The absolute yearning of one human body for another particular body and its indifference to substitutes is one of life's major mysteries.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

That's a great quote. This is my first exposure to Murdoch. I have to admit I had never hear of her until I saw the Kate Winslet movie. Not normally the sort of movie I'd watch, but anything with Kate is always the sort of movie I watch.

verification: zaxavrye--my spaceman rock star name

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home