The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Friday, January 06, 2006

The Week That Was

Went to see "King Kong" last night. What a spectacle that was. I've never seen anything like it. The last half-hour left me dizzy, literally. I've seen Naomi Watts in movies before, but I don't remember the last time I saw an actress look so gorgeous on screen. However, as I thought about the film this morning, I felt a little ambivalent toward it, as if I'd eaten a tasty meal yet still felt hungry an hour later. Not sure why. We all know the Kong story, and maybe a three-hour rollercoaster is just too long and rough a ride to get to the sad ending we know is coming. I don't know. Great flick, though.

I don't know why this whole NSA spying story and all the related issues aren't raising my blood pressure. Actually, I do know why—I just don't care anymore. There will be no victory for freedom. The police/nanny state will only continue to grow. They can pass all the anti-spying and anti-torture laws they want, but only the hopelessly naive will think that torture and spying will ever go away. All the things we hate about government—corruption, arrogance and greed—cut across all parties. You can hate George Bush all you want, but for every Bush sin you come up with, I will match you point for point with a sin from a Democrat president and the whole exercise will have gotten us nowhere. Nobody is going to ride to the rescue. Our only hope is a plague or a meteor strike that will destroy the whole system and let the survivors start over. That's not to say we won't go down the same path again, but a chance is a chance.

Speaking of the erosion of freedom, the other night I was at a stop light in the left turn lane. I was about three cars back, and some woman who was too important to wait her turn pulled up alongside the lead car and even activated her turn signal, brazenly announcing her intention to cut off the lead car when the light went green. Sure enough, the light turned green and this idiot cut off the lead car in one of the most astonishingly stupid and dangerous moves I've ever seen. I'm ashamed to admit it, but my first thought was "boy, a stoplight camera would've nailed that stupid bitch." So, since I still have the freedom to speak freely, to the stupid bitch and everyone else who drives like a maniac and otherwise prove themselves utterly incapable of handling freedom responsibly and forces the government to regulate every aspect of our lives, I would like to say: Fuck you and thanks for nothing.

Heard a commercial on the radio advocating an anti-smoking ordinance. A restaurant owner was praising the ordinance, saying that "business has never been better" since smoking was banned. Maybe I don't understand the law, but I'm under the impression that if you don't want smoking in your own establishment, you're free to ban it without government help . . . unless you lack the courage to ban it without having the government to blame. It's no surprise, though, with government footing more and more of the bill for medical care, it's only logical they will try to have more and more say in how we live our lives. The downward spiral continues . . .

I know that spam email is annoying, but I've noticed some interesting subject lines in the spam I've been getting. I enjoy creative wordplay, and here are some that got my attention: "flam for invidious it," "also anaglyph the isaac," "for study he disoblige," "the antisemitic and beauteous," "countersink the nautical," "on count my feudatory," and "try prophecy in duplicate."

This morning I sat on the couch with my twin daughters. They will be 2 in a couple of weeks. They were reading some new books they got for Christmas, pointing out colors and shapes and animals—not to show off for me, but for the sheer joy of doing it. Some of the pronunciations are classic, of course. Crab is "crap" and squirrel is "queer." But as they jabbered and read for me, the sun blazed through the windows and I leaned my head back, closed my eyes and felt a wave of perfect contentment crash over me. I don't get that feeling very often, so I thought I'd mark the date.

Have a great weekend.

15 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

Naomi, in short, is a Godess....

Thanks for your time......

I've killed countless millions of children because of her. HA!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Um, is that last part a pop culture reference I'm not getting??

7:11 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

My wife and I were visiting her family in St. Petersburg last August. I was startled by the driving that the Russian indure and inflict on each other. They don't so much have driving laws as they have driving suggestions. Four lanes turn into 6 with a blink of an eye. Passing is an art form. If they can't see around a bend they white knuckle it and pass any way. We did get stopped by the cops and they were bribed and we went on. Both times our driver had no idea the cops were looking. I'd love to see India some day, but I hear their driving is even worse.

I used to hate the idea of traffic cameras, but a friend made this point to me. If the police department had enough money they'd put a guy on every corner. Is there a difference between an officer and a camera? What if there were enough money for a camera instead of an officer?

I figure we could put the cameras up but only have to turn one of them on. The idea that you might be seen breaking the law should be enough to keep us in check. I never locked my door in college, for every one who walked by it was psycologically locked.

Great week.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Yeah, it could be like Wal-Mart where only one in ten cameras actually work.

I think cameras, like drug laws and random searches in schools, are merely an excuse to keep an eye on us. To maintain order. Big Brother will always arrive in the name of safety.

It's interesting to read reports that red-light cameras are actually causing more accidents than they prevent, since they cause drivers to panic and brake at the last minute and get assholed by the car behind them. I also didn't know that if someone else is driving your car and gets caught by a traffic camera, the ticket goes to the owner of the car, not the driver. A bunch of bullshit, that is. St. Petersburg traffic sounds like Omaha traffic, ha.

It would all be so much easier if people just took some responsibility. Thanks for weighing in, Dave.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I agree. No more pussies. Except for, you know, the good kind.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Holdrege......

Is that a town?

By the way a new law has been proposed about driving in the left lane. I forget where it's at but it says that you can only driv in the left lane if you are passing or turning. Great idea but are they gonna have "left lane" cops now?
I think it's a Left Lane Conspiracy.....

6:51 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Shad.....

Iwould have hit her too.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Jimmy, I kill millions of children daily..Think about it.....

Here's the new proposal...

A state lawmaker wants to keep drivers on the state's highways from driving in the passing lane. State Senator Marian Price of Lincoln has introduced a bill that allows motorists to only use the left lane of a multi-lane highway to pass other vehicles. Exceptions would be made if traffic volume was heavy and a driver could not safely move back into traffic in another lane. The bill only pertains to multi-lane roads with a speed limit of 65-miles-per-hour or higher. Price believes the law would make Nebraskans better defensive drivers.

I'd like to see this episode of COPS.....

8:16 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Nothing will ever make Nebraskans safer drivers. They are selfish, stupid assholes and so are their parents.

Ok, I get the killing children thing now . . . heh, heh . . . no comment.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

I had to explain to wifey.....

9:38 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Technically in New York State you're only supposed to drive in the left lane to turn or pass. This of course is never really followed, because well, that would be lame.

As Americans we're so proud of our driving ability it's hard for any of us to admit the crazy chances we take every day. I think that's why we joke so much about our own and everone else's driving. If we really stopped to think about it too long, we'd crap ourselves. I had a cousin who did his doctoral thesis on driving and safety. Basically he locked himself in the library with volumes of statistics and reports. when he emerged he was pale, nervous and iron deficient.

He very rarely lets any one drive him any where. He's the most responsible driver that any one has ever known. This drives his wife crazy because as you may guess driving resposnsibly means following safe speeds, not speed limits.

There are three ways to police our road ways best, personal responsibilty (yeah right), police (where are they when you need them), every one carry a bat in their vehicle.

I think the last one would really keep people on the straight and narrow. I know some of you might suggest arming everyone with a gun, but I find that a very imprsonal wa to disapline violators. A nice medium to light weight bat shold suffice. happy hunting.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Dave, are you talking aluminum or wood......

I think wood would be more efficient.

My wife is afraid to travel the interstate, when she is driving because there are too many trucks, semis, what have you....

But that why it was built.

Not for mini-vans or small fast cars.......

The interstate is not dangerous.
All should know not to drive stupid and then you will survive.

Offensive, bad.
Defensive, good.


I should take my own medicine........

9:00 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Dave: That doesn't sound like a very fun doctoral thesis. I can understand why he was shaken. I suppose it's like watching hot dogs being made.
Personal responsibility is the only hope for a free society, which is why I have no hope for a free society.

Davis: I would vote for aluminum. It's nice to hear that chink sound when you bash someone's head.
The interstate is the perfect example of the decline of civilization. Stupidity is on display on a breathtaking scale (we call it "interstate" here in the Midwest).

9:58 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

You mean "Innerstate" yuck-yuck

Originally built for tractor-trailers. not cars. They box you in 'cuz they can. sum'na beetches........

11:16 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

Naomi is still my dream girl.

(Sorry Amy Lee) she's #2 for sure

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home