The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Bone Chapel

East of Prague in the Czech Republic is a chapel decorated with the bones of approximately 40,000 human skeletons. In the 13th century, the the church's cemetery was consecrated by soil from Golgotha in the Holy Land. Soon everyone wanted to be buried in the holy ground, and after disease and war, the church had more human remains than they knew what to do with.

A woodcarver was employed to make use of the bones. Among his creations are: a bone pyramid, skull candelabras, a family coat-of-arms, tunnels sculpted of arm and leg bones and a chandelier containing every bone in the human body. You can visit a panoramic view of the chapel here.

I wrote and told them they could have my skeleton when I'm done with it. We'll see if they want it . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

I've seen this. I would love to go there. It gives me a "boner"..........HA!!!!!!!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

God, I would love to live in a place like this.

Maybe.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had planned to be cremated upon discorporation. Perhaps I shall revise this plan. The thought of being architecture is appealing.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been there. awesome place

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home