The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Saturday, December 03, 2005

New Story

I posted a new short story at Sketches of an Hour. The title is "There's a Clown at the Door," and it was inspired by this quote from the great silent film actor, Lon Chaney:
A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?
Hope you enjoy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Clowns bothered me not an iota when I was a kid. I had a real life horror with whom I lived, so clowns seemed tame.
As an adult, however, I find them...unsettling. Perhaps, as Mr. Chaney said, its a matter of context.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

You know, I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it, but I didn't have a childhood fear of clowns, either. To me, clowns were Bozo and Ronald McDonald and Emmett Kelly, Jr. Nothing scary about those.
Only as an adult do I find clowns unsettling. Interesting . . .

1:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Agreed. Clowns get scarier the older you get.

And dolls. I hate the things. My friend had a bizarre wife (now and ex-wife) who decorated their home like a damned pink cupcake, all frilly and mega-feminine. She had a "doll" room. Wall to wall porcelain dolls of all shapes and sizes. I think if she would've locked me in there for one hour, I might've lost my mind.

Looking forward to reading your story.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Wow, that sounds like a creepy-ass room. I wouldn't like that either.
My daughters got talking teddy bears for Christmas last year. When you squeeze the belly, the bear sings "Jesus Loves Me" in this unsettling, robotic child's voice. Sometimes the girls set them off in the middle of the night. As Richard Pryor would say, "that'll make a white man sit up in bed."

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home