The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

The Jesus Seed


A fascinating article about Guy Consolmagno, the Pope's astronomer, and the possibility of intelligent life in the universe and the impact it would have on religious belief. Consolmagno doesn't believe it necessary for faith and science to be at odds. He says the devout can be afraid to even think about science because it might make them question their faith, but "a faith that is afraid of the truth has no faith."
Very interesting stuff.

7 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

I just read a song in the works, Jimmy.......

12:17 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

And again I say...........

Amen.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"A faith that is afraid of the truth has no faith."

That was the smartest thing I've heard someone from the Vatican say.

5:57 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Yeah, I loved that quote, too, and there's definitely some song material there, ha.

I think that even though this dude is a man of the cloth, he's still a scientist who believes that intelligent life "out there" is a near statistical certainty, and he'd better get the flock ready.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Chris Jart said...

I love that quote about faith. I'm going to have to remember that.

I've also found that a good way to shut up people who quote the bible when arguing their opinion are often stopped dead in their tracks by the words, "Well the bible also says you shouldn't have premaritial sex."

8:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Bible also says something about killing the inhabitants of a neighboring town if they should worship a different god. I think it's in Deuteronomy. I'll have to find it.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Chris: Yeah, the premarital sex rule is one that's ignored by many people. There are many other restrictions, with horrific penalties to go along with it, i.e. stoning rebellious children to death.

Tree: You're right, there are several examples of God ordering the Israelites to slaughter entire populations, even the children, goats and cows (this after commanding them not to covet, steal or kill).

The cool thing about the faith quote is that it can apply to anyone, not just religious people. Even atheists and scientists would do well to follow that. After all, there's so much science can't explain, and as for atheists, well, we just don't know what might be out there, do we?

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home