The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Our Triumph

Here's a quote from that great short story, "Sonny's Blues," by James Baldwin, dedicated to my fellow songwriters:

All I know about music is that not many people ever really hear it. And even then, on the rare occasions when something opens within, and the music enters, what we mainly hear, or hear corroborated, are personal, private, vanishing evocations. But the man who creates the music is hearing something else, is dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air. What is evoked in him, then, is of another order, more terrible because it has no words, and triumphant, too, for that same reason. And his triumph, when he triumphs, is ours.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

dealing with the roar rising from the void and imposing order on it as it hits the air

God I love that line.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Me, too. Especially the "roar rising from the void" part. Anyone who wants to know what it's like to try to write a song, I always point them to this passage.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home