The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Monday, March 20, 2006

How William Shatner Changed the World


I'm sure I don't have to tell Tree about this. It's a show on the History Channel about the influence "Star Trek" had on the development of gadgets such as computers and cell phones. I haven't seen the entire show, but I caught part of it the other night. He talked about a primitive computer people could order and put together. It was called Altair (after the Altair system, but you knew that), and did absolutely nothing except blink some lights. It did, however, get the attention of unknown computer geeks like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates, who used Altair as a starting point to developing a practical home computer.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite pictures of Bill. Yum!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I'm endeavoring, ma'am, to build a mnemonic circuit using stone knives and bearskins"
--Spock
"City on the Edge of Forever"

First use of the word 'hell' on American television. Last spoken line of that episode:

Let's get the hell out of here" -- Kirk

8:14 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

I love that episode. Yes, Shatner can act, my friends.

"Star Trek" also brought us the first interracial kiss on TV, along with a few interspecies ones as well, ha.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home