The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Dirty Hands

I caught a conversation on TV last night about immigration. One of the talking heads was vomiting the usual cliches about how it should be okay for businesses to exploit immigrant labor because they will "do the jobs Americans won't do."
Well, maybe there's a little truth to that, but reviewing my own work history, I have worked on a garbage truck, worked in lawn care in stifling heat and drenched in sweat, unloaded freight trucks at the buttcrack of dawn, worked for Servicemaster where I cleaned restrooms so covered in shit it looked like someone's ass exploded and ladies' rooms with used tampons unrolled across the floor and gone to the hospital for razor cuts, injured backs and dog bites in the ass.
This is not to pat myself on the back, but to say that I sure get a chuckle when I see some pink-fingered Ivy leaguer on TV lecturing me about the work Americans won't do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home