The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Halloween Heads-Up


It's the most wonderful time of the year!
Because I care, I've scoured some TV listings and found some movies you can't miss:

There's AMC's Monsterfest, an entire week of scary movies, Oct. 23-31, including: Mary Shelly's Frankenstein, Village of the Damned, Dracula, Friday the 13th and Halloween movies, The Devil's Rain, Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte, Hellraiser, Exorcist III and a bunch of others.

Turner Classic Movies will show thirty-nine Alfred Hitchcock films from Oct. 24-30. They're also showing Nosferatu, The Unknown and The Haunting. The big can't-miss here is London After Midnight. Thought to be lost for good, this Lon Chaney vampire flick has been reconstructed entirely from stills and will be shown for the first time in 50 years in any format.

The Independent Film Channel has the Indie Screams weekend with Suspiria, Inferno and Deep Red by Dario Argento, and Black Sunday, Bay of Blood and Baron Blood by Mario Bava. Black Sunday is the film with the wicked opening scene of a witch getting a spiked mask hammered onto her face. IFC will also be showing The Wicker Man on Oct. 29 (don't miss this one!).

Shatner alert
: Our ol' buddy Bill takes on satanist Ernest Borgnine in The Devil's Rain. Also, you probably already knew that Halloween villain Michael Myers wears a modified Captain Kirk mask. No wonder he's my favorite movie bad guy.

I don't get premium movie channels, so I didn't check those. If you know of any other good movies on this month, by all means let us know.

Here's Wikipedia's article on horror film.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jimmy said...

But, you're letting the best of popular culture pass you by.
Don't worry, we'll protect you . . . you can run fast, right??

6:02 PM  
Blogger Chris Jart said...

Nice! I wish I could afford cable as I'd love to see the Lon Chaney movie. His makeup was always amazing and very creepy. The pictures from London After Midnight look so spooky that I get the creeps just looking at them.

I watched the Devils Rain last year just to see Shatner. It's one of those movies where at the end you just go "ick." Just leaves you feeling kind of yucky, rather than scared.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Stephanie, I'd have to say that The Exorcist is still the scariest. Although, I saw The Manson Family recently, and that was quite unsettling, ha.
Chris, you're right. The Devil's Rain is quite a strange film. I had never heard of it when I ran across it in a video store. It has a lot of well-known actors in it. Although, I loved the part where Shatner comes in from a pouring rain, and he's completely dry.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Monkey said...

Chris... come over here and watch it at our house. We promise not to chew popcorn in your ear as you watch.

If I watch these, it's with my hands at the ready to cover my eyes and ears. Monkey is a wuss.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

We'll protect you, Monkey. This is our domain. We protect all who come here.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that the Jason mask is a modified Shatner mask. I always felt an odd attraction. That explains everything.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Ha. I always thought, as a tribute, they should have one of the victims die while gurgling "I'm dead, Jim."

4:27 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

choo..choo..choo....
pah..pah..pah....
choo..choo..choo...
pah..pah..pah.............
(insert scream here)


Rock On!

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home