The Second Side

I could put something really witty here if I wanted.


My Photo
Name:

When you stop believing in coincidence, paranoia is only a heartbeat away.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Fare Thee Well, Old Friend

A sad day for Jimmy's household today. We had to put our furry friend, Casper, to sleep this afternoon. He took ill yesterday, and we learned that he had kidney disease and diabetes. Treatment options were not only expensive but had meager odds of success. Mrs. Jimmy and I were there to comfort him when they gave him the sleep agent.
It's not my style to over-eulogize, but I like to think that he's trotting around somewhere where there's grass to chew on, freshly laundered clothing to sleep on, running faucets to drink out of, crickets to kill, windows to watch from and bellies to knead.
We had him for ten years. A pretty good run, but as Robert Frost wrote, "Nothing gold can stay."
Damn it all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Davis said...

He's rolling around....Naked. Listening to the Beatles....

R.I.P.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Stephanie—Sorry to hear about ol' Zane Grey, but it's nice to know Casper has some company.
Davis—No, that's what I do, but he always was a very intelligent cat.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

You said James, he-he.

just so you know my word verification letters are these:
diregv
Add a .com to that.......
think about it.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been remiss in keeping up with my fellow blogger's entries.

I'm so sorry to hear about Casper. As you know, I completely understand this kind of loss. My heart is only partially healed and there are days when I return home and still look for my fat fuzzy bastard. I can only hope your Casper has met up with my dear Kawdy-Kat on the other side. I'm sure they'd be good friends.

*hugs*

9:10 AM  
Blogger Davis said...

Tree!


We have missed you so!

6:09 PM  
Blogger Monkey said...

Oh Casper. You look like a sweetie, and your family loved you. Casper has lots of company: Snickers, Caesar and Bagheera.

So hard to lose a family member. A week late, but my thoughts are with your family.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Shad: Thanks for your sympathies, my friend. I'll let that Beatles comment slide since I know you have that addiction to huffing paint.

Tree: Thanks for the nice thoughts about Casper and Kawdy-Kat. I'm sure they're curled up together, ying-yang style, talking about their eccentric owners. :)

Monkey: Thanks for the nice words. It's good to know Casper is among friends. I'm sure, as a distinguished member of the animal kingdom, you can vouch for the existence of Animal Heaven.

We brought Casper home today. They put his ashes in a nice, cedar box. It's strange to see our hefty furball reduced to a small plastic bag of ashes, but we're glad he's home.
Thanks, everyone, for you kind thoughts.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Chris Jart said...

Sorry about your loss. It's hard to lose a pet as they become part of the family. I had to put down my cat Emma last year. She was a real companion, always sitting on my lap, seeking me out wherever I was in the house, and constantly underfoot. I still get upset about it and miss her. It's tough, but have to know that you did the right thing by not letting them suffer.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Jimmy said...

Thanks, Chris. Sorry to hear about Emma. It's interesting how attached we get to our fuzzy friends. My wife and I are constantly catching glimpses of him out of the corner of our eye. I'm enjoying that.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home